Thursday 1 April 2021

Someone who wanted me dead

 I had a friend. He was an English convert to Islam. Periodically we used to meet for a coffee and chat: discussing world politics and religion. He regularly Tweeted about Islam, and its superiority to all other world views. Although we disagreed, I considered we had a good relationship. When his father died, I reached out to spend time with him in his loss.

However, something happened which changed everything. He posted about the imposition of the death penalty on blasphemy and apostasy in Muslim countries. In western non-Muslim countries, such a Britain, he thought this was inappropriate. But, in Islamic countries, he felt it was justified.

The problem is that, Islam posits a fundamental division of the world, into three categories: the House of Islam, the House of Treaty, and the House of War. In the first, Shariah Law must prevail. The third is a country at war with the Muslim world, and which must submit and accept Islam.

However, the second, refers to those countries which have a treat with Islam, in which Muslims living there must respect the laws of this unbelieving country. Within a democratic country, therefore, the Muslim can work for the conversion of his or her neighbours, and the compliance of law and polity with Sharia.

In theory, and in future, therefore, the death penalty, for blasphemy or apostasy, could be imposed anywhere. So I sent him a message, expressing my concern at his views. He asked why, and I explained that, in a Muslim Country, I would feel at risk – of either imprisonment or execution.

In response, he sought to justify his position. It was, he said, like protecting a population against a deadly disease. Using law to defend them against other religious viewpoints was essential, even if it meant the death penalty. I was horrified.

I genuinely hadn’t expected this come back. Instead, I’d thought he would respond with some statement trying to explain that he hadn’t really meant it like that, and that genuine Islam was a tolerant, peaceful, religion.

Naturally I realise that not all Muslims hold his views, and the reason for my shock was that I hadn’t expected it from him either. Finally, I tried to confront him with the impact of what he was saying. Maybe I over-reacted, exclaiming that I hadn’t realised he wanted me dead.

But, at that point, he cut me off. I did try to re-open contact via text, when I realised I still had his number. But he again stated he didn’t want any more communication. I thought that was the end. Recently, however, he has begun following me on my Youtube account, and commenting.

I don’t know why, and I don’t know how to respond. Is there something in him that means he can’t stay away from Christians? Is he trolling me? Does he genuinely want to reopen communications? Plus, should I ignore him? Block him? Or try to reconcile, and reply?

More than that, does he still want me dead?

1 comment:

Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence