Saturday 11 April 2020

A Theology of Corona-Time


I realise I’ve been ‘doing theology’ during this crisis, though not all of it has found expression in written form. Theology is reflecting on life in the light of God. And there is certainly much to think about now.

As such, I am engaged in what’s called ‘Contextual Theology’, i.e. reflection from within and about my own situation. It can, therefore, only be ‘a’ theology of Corona Time, one particular Christian response, since everyone’s context differs.


Mine speaks from Central London, an urban, multiracial, congregation, not large, not rich, ordinary – if nevertheless special to me, in my affections. Contextual Theology is consequently ‘personal’ theology.

I write, not from Academia, but as a local church Pastor. I read recently that the congregation is a locus ecclesialogicus for theology, with each expression of church performing this function within its own changing context.

I find thoughts arising in my mind, as if from nowhere: spontaneous. That doesn’t mean they’re any good. But, like my children, they’re mine, and I love them. After my debacle, teaching at Spurgeon’s College, I have little claim to be a ‘theologian’.

But you can’t keep a good theologian down; though I don’t claim to be ‘good’, just thoughtfully trying to consider what I’m doing and experiencing in ministry. This means my Blogposts cannot be systematic. As Rowan Williams said, “We always begin in the middle of things.”

Inevitably, therefore, they are ‘dispatches from the frontline’. I am aware we’re reserving this term for health workers, who are literally on the ‘frontline’, serving and saving us. But it’s a word my psychotherapist used, when she couldn’t understand why I keep returning to urban mission.

So my blogposts are scrappy, piecemeal, immediate, in the moment. Perhaps they would benefit from later revision. But I’m influenced by the Autonomist Marxist, Franco Berardi, who wrote “Schizo-mails”, chronicling a year’s political developments, via emails and online postings.

In addition to this blog, I’m putting up daily reflections on Youtube, based on Luke’s Gospel. These have a different tonality. My aim here is to encourage people, from my own congregation and others, in a series of devotionals.

Addressed to individual Christians, these short videos, fall into the category of ‘Pastoral Theology’. Every Pastor, or Preacher, does theology, perhaps not well, each they get up to speak the Word of God to the gathered congregation, or in this case online.

I notice, as this has progressed that I concentrate usually on two themes: renewal through relationship with Jesus, and the importance of action, sharing his love during the crisis. I realise, therefore, that my comments arise from the much maligned tradition of ‘Pietism’.

‘Cultured despisers of (popular) religion’ love to criticise this perspective, which emphasises personal relationship with Jesus. But every revival has always emerged from this rich spiritual vein. However, maybe I’m kidding myself.

Others could surely do this reflection better, and especially, after it is all over, with more time to reflect deeply on its significance. And yet, here are my modest contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence